Monday, August 31, 2026

Calke Abbey


Interesting! New things on my new phone.. although I have no idea what this will look like online! 

Should add of course the photograph above is our family village back near Naples .. 

I need to buck up my ideas for Blogging, I know.. there's bad and this, almost non existent sometimes!

So! New phone ✓

Last weekend, still beautiful weather was a visit to Calke Abbey.. Link has much better photographs and information...


As I seem to have not taken a photographic at all of the Mansion itself! 

The entrance room, reception room, of the mansion has a burner, I was looked for the flue, but couldn't see one, it was underground! Crazy eh! 

I did take way too many photographs of plants, flowers and trees! 


We went to the ice room, two massive partially undergoing rooms for ice, before freezers etc..


And fallow deer, beauty creatures, this stage was so near the fence I could have reached out and touched him! People were feeding him leaves through the fence..


And even with my new phone, zoom is not great.. and here were to young deer, one of them white, stunningly beautiful white fawn.. apparently that's a 1 in 20,000 chance of a white deer.. So considered purse very lucky..




The beautiful family chapel.. The Harpur-Crewe family until the National Trust took it over.. 

The house and surrounding outbuilding had been used extensively in Peaky Blinders... There were signs everywhere explained what scene and where!

Good cup of coffee before looking around, and another National Trust with second hand books! Excellent idea for sure!

They had a children's summer holiday area, so many things for the kids to do there, permanent ice-cream van! That would have been quite some pitch for whoever got the contract for that! Seven days a week for at least six weeks!! WoW!

Lots of pathways, the church, the ice house, the children's area, the beautiful gardens.. we walked from the house through tunnels to the brewery, yes, they had a brewery! Quite a long walk too!

Definitely worth a visit!

M.

About the only thing that comes without effort is old age.

Anon

(I am adding here)

If we're lucky..

No comments:

Post a Comment