Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Below written by Peter Forster

Daily missive for Monday the 12th of February.

I worry

I will lose her

In the ‘putting away’

The packing and moving

From one place to another.

The pairing down

As expectations change

As other people move on

Lost lovers cling to bric-a-brac

As if it is a liferaft. 

Holding on

Gets harder

As links break.

Mementoes look forlorn

As surroundings change.

Picture frames

Weather with age

Photographs fade

Those precious clothes

Folded neatly

In a bottom drawer

Too evocative of her

To let go

Too painful to look at.

Worried about mould 

Mildew

The betrayal

Of throwing away. 

The pain of loss

Is unrelenting

The gravitas of a life

Taken for granted.

The gravity 

Of every situation

Demanding its toll

In a remorseless shedding

Of the past

One piece at a time.

A life dismantled

A reminder of mortality

The coming of darkness 

The fear of pain

The loathing of religion

Its senseless, merciless

Boyhood grip.

When even yet

The lost child within

Cries out 

In the hope

That we will meet again.

               ****

I wrote in Peter's comments..

'Peter, you say just the right words at the right time, I am 'trying' to let go of things, that have a far greater hold on me than I care to acknowledge.. my kids said 'take photos, throw it all away' 

But it's like I am throwing away a part of myself...'

M.


No comments: