Monday, March 20, 2023

 


Journeys so far.. friends picked me up from JFK and took me to my aunt's, arrived about midnight Thursday/Friday.

Was a long flight, long day, I dropped off at Malaga Airport way too early, my fault? Partially, I couldn't check in on line due to issues with BA documents that were needed, they did clear at 8am on Thursday, but I left early anyways..

Desk didn't open until 13:30 so long wait..

I randomly, being me, started to talk to a couple who were near me, I also remembered their names and yesterday googled them, as you do!? As I do?? And they are both authors, both writers about wine! He especially has written a huge amount of books! I can't obviously name them here.. would be wrong.. but wow eh! 

So flight, it arrived into Malaga late so we left an hour late, when we landed in Heathrow my next flight was already, supposedly boarding, so had to get through security fast which wasn't easy.. so many signs saying don't run, the connection area must always be full of people arriving late and needing to board again quickly! 

Anyways! Boarded okay, then we sat on the tarmac for an hour! Problems with baggage, then food to transport? Fish apparently!! 

We made up for time though in the air and landed on my half an hour later than scheduled.

There was no food on the BA flight to London, so ate a lot on the next one, I had had no time to eat in Heathrow.. 

I weirdly had a bottle of water in my bag at Malaga, me??!!! For god's sake how many times have I moaned about idiots who carry water through!! Security guy was like wait . You have water? I was 'I'm so sorry!! I tavel so much!!' security was empty and luckily no one saw but him.. 

Then when I sat down at seat 29G to fly onwards from Heathrow.. a man saying everyone sit on your original seats.. I was surprised when he said I also had to move !! I had sat there instead of 39G!! And I knew it was 39G.. it was gate 39 and seat 39!! It was like I'd lost my mind!! So funny, so in a half empty plane I joined row 39.. four people in all, back row.. and although intended to move away, I stayed.. I'd already talked to the couple on my left.. So we were alright! And bathroom behind! Never used the bathroom so much as on that flight!! Just because I could!

Tried to sleep a little, but it's not easy for me.. after landing was easy through passport control and baggage claim.. out and picked up.. so easy.. 

Got to aunt's around midnight and next day cousin arrived from West Palm Beach.. 

Another cousin picked up the three of us, and drove us to another cousin's house for a special Saint Paddies day dinner of corned beef and cabbage.. from there, another driver and car to another cousins house for the night!

The next day we drove, another car.. to my aunt's party at a fire station.. fantastic..

When the cousin who was staying with us walked in.. he said pointing to this below..

Here's the Menu!! 

Was a fantastic party.. absolutely wonderful.. nearly a hundred of us.. some couldn't make it.. tonnes of food.. talking laughing just wonderful..

I think about most of the women thought there was one bathroom.. when you walked in there was a urinal on the left and two stalls.. but after walking in there I walked out and tried a door further down the hall and there was the ladies bathroom! 

After the party, another cousin another car to cousins then a turnaround and another car another cousin, back to aunt's house.. 

My cousin and I felt like we were part of a witness protection program! 

They kept us moving and changing drivers and cars!

Then Sunday we went into the city to meet up for lunch with a friend my cousin has known since they were about 8!

We got an Uber to train station, we thought we were alone in the train, then a guy asked us if we were going to Grand Central.. 

When we pulled into the Grand Central.. we stood.. no one on our train! No one anywhere near! 

The guy did show up again .. but where from?? 

It was totally weird.. especially with our continued transportation and driver and house changes!!

Even when we walked along the deserted corridors.. 

The station has obviously undergone a massive update, since I was last there, nine years May, it is amazing.. a stunning masterpiece of architecture..

I love this station!



Artwork, mural's.. all of it..



Everywhere was just so empty when we arrived, walking along corridor after corridor, coming up from the deepest platform.. heading for Lexington Avenue.. twists and turns.. was so funny!

Came out and no one about! That top photograph was what we saw.. 

It was also freezing! And I mean actually freezing! So my cousin flagged a cab that was right there.. for us! And we went to his friends appartment.. in a beautiful old building with a concierge.. of course we had to share the elevator with a gentleman called Max and his two corgis both in knitted coats! 

After coffee we headed back out into the cold and had brunch in a beautiful hotel restaurant, outside but undercover just like home..  although these in New York only appeared during covid, they're what we've been used to always in Spain outside the bars.. 

Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts

Oliver Wendell Holmes snr

Going to close here.. 

Above was in the TWA hotel at JFK today.. 

But need to rest my thumbs now!

M.



No comments: