Monday, June 08, 2015


Random picture of mom and I in Cadiz as taken by Tony! Yes it was hot!

I have watched the whole series of Frasier too many times to count,on TV on DVD... When I was feeling bad last week I started watching on DVD where the mornings episode had finished that morning, and today the last episode... Which is why, again, I quote the famous last lines from his show... Well almost, for the first time I realised the flight he is taking lands him in Chicago!  The job he was going for was in San Francisco... the lady he had fallen for was in Chicago... After all these years of its ending I just need a follow up episode please, I guess he is going to see her, that's the risk he is taking...

The poem Frasier quotes in this episode is a shortened version of Alfred Lord Tennyson's 'Ulysses'.

"It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;

It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And though we are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are -
[Scene shifts to Frasier's KACL booth from his lounge.]
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will;

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

I've been thinking about that poem a lot lately.  And I think what it says is that, while it's tempting to play it safe, the more we're willing to risk, the more alive we are.  In the end, what we regret most are the chances we never took.  And I hope that explains, at least a little, this journey on which I am about to embark.  I have loved every minute with my KACL family, and all of you.  For eleven years you've heard me say, "I'm listening."  Well, you were listening, too.  And for that I am eternally grateful.  Goodnight Seattle.


TTFN
Marian

1 comment:

Veronica Roth said...

Oh so moving! I loved Frasier to pieces. R and I watched it and rewatched it and love when the odd episode come around. It's so easy...and cheap...to fly within the USA that I bet for $100 and a couple hours of flight he'll get everything sorted and live happily ever after. The actor seems like such a nice guy in real life, doesn't he? I'm happy he seems to have finally found love and happiness with his British wife. X