Saturday, January 21, 2023

New moon


January 21, 2023: Closest New Moon Since the Middle Ages

By Graham Jones. Published 17-Jan-2023RSS

This Saturday's New Moon will be the closest New Moon to Earth in a period of 1337 years.

timeanddate's Moon phase visualization tool showing the New Moon for January 2023

The New Moon of January 2023 coincides with the point in the Moon’s orbit where it is closest to Earth.

©timeanddate

A Remarkably Close New Moon

According to our calculations, on January 21, 2023, the New Moon will be at its closest distance to Earth for the last 992 years.

The next time the New Moon is this close to Earth will be 345 years from now, making this the closest New Moon in 1337 years.

And also at this time the ZTF comet should be able to be seen all night.. 

Well I've just been on the terrace, and what with my chimney and neighbours either side all puffing out enough smoke to give Victorian London smog a run for it's money.. no chance.. the whole town is awash with smoke.. the sky has plenty of stars but the haze between them and I was pretty dense! 

Had a good day yesterday, town and lunch and home... I bought a halogen fire, for quick heat.. why I am putting up with being cold in 2023 I have no idea!! 

I couldn't carry it home, had a nice curry lunch and got a cab! It's been eighteen years here soon, and only caught a cab home twice now.. 

The first time must be over ten years ago, and cost 5€ so pulling up outside my house yesterday I was unsure what price it would be... It was 5€! 

No change in a minimum of ten years.. 

A small daffodil in my little garden area.. a miniature daff.. small but perfectly formed! 

Today I went out later in the afternoon, so with difficulty I stayed in all morning.. my time for being out usually.. 

Was colder in the house than outside! 

Lit my burner when I got home, so house is nice and toasty.. 

I am still coughing well, and whatever is in my lungs is still rattling around and making the weirdest of noises.. worse laying down, but even sitting or walking.. 

I do feel much better though thankfully!

And tomorrow I think the market! Wrap up well and head out early! 

TTFN amigos!

M.


No comments: