Wednesday, May 08, 2019

At last!


Taken this view a hundred times, never tire of it.. taken from Rivera del Sol.. looking out over the Med..

I was buying meds... But what a view...

Lucky to have lived so close to the sea here.. and make such wonderful friends. Always love being down here.. not as much as home in Alhaurín of course, but this is where my love of our beautiful country really begun...

Thirty years ago February, I first came to Calahonda, six months after first stepping onto these shores... Up at Torrevieja, on the Costa Blanca.

I wonder at times of my Italian grandparents, sailing over stormy waters, risking so much to travel from Italian shores to the US of A... It would take about ten days now, but over a hundred years ago could have been four to six weeks.

Leaving families and friends behind, to a new land, never seen.. No idea of what lay ahead except the prospect of a better life for them and their forthcoming children.

Now here I am, back on the Mediterranean!

A cousin on mom's father's side.. she lived in Gibraltar too, for a while. (I wonder if there are accessible census lists anywhere?) Her descendants have been pulled to this country also.. further up the coast but here nonetheless.


Taken from outside a store in Gibraltar... the cloud rising up above from the Mediterranean on the other side, meeting the air from the Atlantic on this other side.

Actually I was here before a job interview...

And.. I got the job!!!  Celebrations all round! 'At last.'

Three months here, three months of worry and wondering what I can do... Had two other interviews, one I turned down, one I was turned down.

It's good to have this now, financially and mentally.

Summer is slow to pick up down here, only one and a half hours from Alhaurín, but very different weather; coming through the last tunnel on the toll road, you leave one weather system and enter another! Winds, always winds.. or very nearly! Nice on a hot day, but bloomy chilly when it's been a gray day.

You know, I tried my most positive to be 'most positive' about this latest position for work.

Monday I imagined the phonecall, I put my start date in my calendar, next Monday actually, with a countdown set also on my phone.

I also added the ladies name into my contacts so I would know it is her when she called...

Must try harder at this thinking positive thing; I always was a positive person, never negative; a true believer in getting what we talk and think about. Aware therefore of negative thoughts and feelings, and words.

The universe is listening.

We had the MotoGp in nearby Jerez at the weekend, dozens of beautiful bikes passing through, always are a few on the very best of days.. especially noticeable when summer is just beginning..

Someone I know was there, and then I thought I saw him walking over the runway yesterday! But we all do that don't we.. we see people who we have been thinking of, or expecting or hoping to see.  I still see my mom at a distance, and stupidly disappointed when it's not her, even though I know it never could have been.

TTFN
Marian


No comments: